Thank you for your interest in New Mexico Lawyers for the Arts. New Mexico Lawyers for the Arts (NMLA) exists to serve the legal needs of artists and arts organizations, to educate artists and arts organizations about their legal rights and responsibilities and to promote contact and understanding among members of the legal profession and the arts community.
NMLA, through its network of volunteer attorneys and accountants, provides legal assistance, primarily in a clinic setting, to musicians, songwriters, photographers, sculptors, dancers, filmmakers, painters, actors and artists from many other disciplines who would not otherwise be able to afford legal representation and counseling respecting their rights and interests in their works. NMLA also makes referrals to experienced member attorneys and accountants for artists and arts organizations that do not qualify for free legal services either at a reduced rate or for regular rate referrals. NMLA conducts free or low-cost educational seminars and workshops on numerous legal and business-related topics. NMLA also has free clinics where artists can meet with volunteer attorneys to discuss various issues and legal questions. Your membership fee enables us to continue providing legal services and education to artists and arts organizations in New Mexico who could not otherwise afford such assistance. Please complete this form and return it with the appropriate fee (checks should be made payable to New Mexico Lawyers for the Arts) to the address listed below.
To qualify for NMLA’s pro bono legal assistance services, you must:
- Be an artist or arts organization based in New Mexico
- Be a member of NMLA
- You adjusted gross income must not exceed the following amounts:
- Individual artist: AGI not to exceed $30,000 per year (+$9,550 for each additional member of the household). This represents 250% of the federal poverty guidelines and is the highest allowable income for attorney pro bono
- For-profit arts organization: AGI not to exceed $30,000
- If you are a nonprofit arts organization: annual operating budget cannot exceed $500,000
If you do not qualify for pro bono legal assistance, you are still entitled to an initial consultation and you may qualify for tiered-rate or reduced rate services from one of our referral attorneys.
Fill out the form below or click here to download the pdf form and mail it.
NMLA Membership Application
Benefits Of Membership
- Mailings of upcoming seminars, workshops, walk-in clinics and CLEs
- Priority in our pro bono legal clinics
- Free access and/or significant discounts on all seminars and workshops
- Invitations to social events
- Opportunity to network with artists, arts organizations, attorneys and other entertainment professionals
- In addition to the above, member attorneys are eligible for paying referrals